Trail status report from Scott Allen, April 2014:
- The trail from Herington to Council Grove is under development and would not be suitable for riding at this time.
- The trail is completed with limestone screenings for approximately 25 miles from the southeast end of Council Grove, between Quality Profile and the Dunlap Rd. to the east end of Admire, in Lyon County.
- From Admire you will want to take Rd 330 East about 2 miles to where the trail intersects Rd S5. (Rd 330 basically runs parallel to the trail.) You can then get back on the trail on Rd S5 and ride 28 miles through Osage City, over 75 Highway, through Vassar and under 68 Highway to where the trail intersects E 245th St. and S. Ratner Rd in Osage County.
- A large portion of the section of trail from Rd S5 in Lyon County to 245th and S. Ratner Rd in Osage County has not had screenings applied to the surface but the heavy ballast has been removed and the trail can easily be traveled on a mountain or cyclocross bike. I would not recommend a road bike on this section. There is a section about 2.5 miles long beginning at Rd U (the Turnpike) in Lyon County in which the ballast is a little soft but not any worse than most gravel roads.
- There are also a couple of sections where the ballast and fines have been completely removed and the trail is dirt. There are a few pot holes in these areas and it may be a little muddy when wet but you should be able to easily traverse it on a mountain or cyclocross bike.
- Also note that from Rd S5 in Lyon County to 75 Highway none of the bridges have railings and all but 4 bridges are open tie. They are short bridges and one can basically coast across them.
- The trail is completed with limestone screenings for approximately 10.3 miles to Lomax Junction (the point where the Flint Hills Nature Trail meets the Landon Trail.) This portion of the Landon Trail is undeveloped.
- The trail is undeveloped from the Lomax Junction to 1 mile east of Pomona (approximately 2.5 miles)
- The trail is completed with screenings for approximately one mile on each side of Pomona.
- The trail is undeveloped from one mile east of Pomona, approximately 10.6 miles to the east end of Ottawa, near East 7th and South Mason Streets
- The trail is complete with limestone screenings from the east end of Ottawa 17.5 miles southeast to the intersection with the John Brown Highway just west of Osawatomie.
The sections that are NOT suitable for riding at this time are (west to east):
- Herington to Council Grove (27 miles)
- Admire to Rd. S5 (1.5 miles) (see aforementioned Rd 330 detour)
- The Lomax Junction in Osage County to 1 mile west of Pomona (2.5 miles)
- One mile west of Pomona to East 7th and South Mason Streets in Ottawa (10.6 miles)
Flint Hills Nature Trail Completion
Total Length 117miles
Suitable For Riding 77.4miles
Not Suitable For Riding 39.6miles